What is a Vision Statement?
A vision statement refers to an aspirational and catchy statement formulated by the organization that represents the current and future goals of that organization. The use of vision statements is mainly seen in businesses, but nowadays many government departments and non-profit organizations also use the vision statements to set their goals. The vision statement clearly represents the core values, culture, and vision of the organization. According to research, if the company have a meaningful and attractive vision statement, the engagement level of the employees of that company towards work was found to be around 68 per cent. The more engagement of the employees results in more productivity and eventually the overall growth of the company. Hence, an effective vision statement of a company is also a crucial factor that can lead to the success of the company. Therefore, it is necessary for every organization to have a well planned and meaningful vision statement. In this article, we’ll learn about the tips to draft an effective vision statement and various examples of the vision statement used by businesses.
How to Write a Vision Statement?
You may think that a vision statement is just a simple statement that represents the vision of the company, but writing it is not that simple. One should follow certain points before finalising the vision statement. Following are the points that one should consider before formulating the vision statement.
- Always ask some questions before drafting the vision statement, for example, What is the objective of your organization? What can you achieve in the next five years? What are the products or the services that your company provides to the customers? What changes does your company bring to the life of your customers? How will things change if you achieve the vision of your company? The clear answers to these questions can help you draft an accurate vision statement.
- Before finalising the vision statement, think of your goals and your company’s growth after some years rather than drafting the vision statement for a short term goal. Check whether the vision statement that you have decided matches the perspective of your organization after five or ten years or not. If not, better think of another vision statement. An effective vision statement is one that clearly matches the future plans and the success of your company. Also, the vision statement should only represent the vision of the company and not the step by step plan to reach that vision.
- Always try to look for the people who can guide you to write an effective vision statement. These people could be your friends, family, or your team. It’s always better to ask several people say your managers or co-workers for insights into the vision statement rather than finalising the visions statement on your own. When you refer to the number of people for drafting the vision statement, you are less likely to formulate a vision statement that is based on a personal basis and the chances of getting an effective and realistic vision statement that speaks the vision of your organization are high.
- The optimum vision statement is the one that describes the end goal of the organization and clearly specifies the vision. Try to think of unique statements because a generic statement that may be applied to almost every other organization would not be enough to motivate the team and may fail to attract the customers. Hence, think of catchy words or phrases that easily grab the attention of potential customers. The bold and some risky writing can do wonders in your business.
- Try to keep the vision statements short and crisp. The customers hardly invest their time in reading the long and overly detailed vision statements. First, jot down all your thoughts and ideas and cut off the unessential items from the list. Try to summarize your vision in just one or two lines rather than mentioning the full details. Also, try to use the present tense and avoid using jargon and technical terms, and prefer writing in simple, inspirational, memorable and catchy words.
- Avoid using the vision statements that include targets that may impossible to achieve. An unrealistic statement such as ‘our vision is that every single person use our service’ may put a bad impact on the sales. One should dream big, but it does not mean that one should set a vision that is not realistic to achieve.
- The vision statement tells the goals of the future, once a particular goal is achieved there may be the need for the modification in the visions statement. Hence, try to update the vision statement whenever it is needed. Although, avoid changing the vision statement frequently as it can reflect the lack of confidence of the company in achieving its own set targets.
- Do not use vague statements that represent the personal goals of the company, for example, ‘we want to increase our revenue’ and other similar sentences. Instead, use statements that represent the benefits of the customers and how does the vision will enhance the lives of the customers.
- When you finally have formulated the visions statement, make sure that your visions statement is clearly communicated to the people. The visions statement will result in the success of the company only if the employees of the company understands the vision statement and work for that vision by heart. Invest the time and resources towards the fulfilment of the vision mentioned in your vision statement. In business, it may include organizing seminars, hiring trainees, or launching new services or products. The strategies may include offering the product at a reasonable price and entering new projects and exploring the new markets. Also, asking the employees about the suggestions or modifications in the vision and acknowledging the employees that put their extra efforts in reaching towards the vision of the company.
Visions Statement vs Mission Statement
People often get confused with the visions statement and the missions statement of the organization as both the statements describes the core value and the culture of the company. Both statements are crucial for organizations as it guides them to achieve the set goals. The primary difference in both the statements is that the mission statements represent what does the organization is doing in the current time, while the vision statement represents what does the organization aspire to achieve in the future. Once the company set its vision statements and mission statement, the next step is to plan strategically and work hard to achieve the set goals.
Vision Statement Examples for Business
To be Earth’s most customer-centric company where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online.”
The visions statement of Amazone is unique and interesting. This statement uses the word customers twice, and clearly mentioned the company’s vision to make it easier for the customers to find everything on a single platform, i.e., Amazon. It also mentions the word ‘Earth’ which also relates to the ‘space travel’ endeavours of Amazone’s founder Jeff Bezos.
To create a better everyday life for the many people.”
The short and simple vision statement of the home designing company, IKEA represents that the company understands the needs and imaginations of the customers and can provide the people with the best designs according to the desires of the clients.
We’re here to feed and foster communities.”
Mcdonald’s introduced this new visions statement in 2020. This statement not only emphasises Mcdonald’s vision of feeding the people hamburgers but also Mcdonald’s intention in fostering communities. This statement reflects the various community services offered by Mcdonald’s, for example, Ronald McDonald House, a non-profit organization that helps thousands of children and their families in improving their health and well being.
Becoming the best global entertainment distribution service. Licensing entertainment content around the world. Creating markets that are accessible to filmmakers.”
Netflix’s vision statement is written in the active voice, and it consists of three segments. The statement represents Netflix’s vision of global expansion and providing an easy market for content creators.
People use Facebook to stay connected with friends and family, to discover what’s going on in the world, and to share and express what matters to them.”
Connecting the people globally has always been the vision of Facebook, the Facebook acquired platforms such as Instagram, also have a similar vision. Facebook’s vision statement encourages people to download the application and do what’s mentioned in its vision statement.
Create the most compelling car company of the 21st century by driving the world’s transition to electric vehicles.”
The vision statement of Tesla does not focus on what it desires to provide to the customers, instead, it focuses on inspiring and encouraging people towards electric vehicles.
To provide access to the world’s information in one click.”
Clearly, the visions statement of Google is short and crisp. It does not include any complex technical terms to define the goal of the company.
Video communications empowering people to accomplish more.”
The vision statement of zoom directly focuses on its main product, i.e., video communication. This statement emphasises that Zoom can empower users and they can accomplish using this platform.
Create economic opportunity for every member of the global workforce.”
The visions statement of LinkedIn represents that the primary vision of LinkedIn is to make it easier for the entire global workforce to find new jobs, and good employees and increase the network among the businesses.
10. Ben & Jerry’s
Making the best ice cream in the nicest possible way.”
11. Caterpillar Inc.
Our vision is a world in which all people’s basic needs such as shelter, clean water, sanitation, food and reliable power are fulfilled in an environmentally sustainable way, and a company that improves the quality of the environment and the communities where we live and work.”
12. Habitat for Humanity
A world where everyone has a decent place to live.”
13. Hilton Hotels & Resorts
To fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality.”
If it’s smart and connected, it’s best with Intel.”
Microsoft is a technology company whose mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. We strive to create local opportunity, growth, and impact in every country around the world. Our strategy is to build best-in-class platforms and productivity services for an intelligent cloud and an intelligent edge infused with artificial intelligence.”
A world without poverty.”
Build the best product, cause no unnecessary harm, use business to inspire and implement solutions to the environmental crisis.”
Our vision is put into action through programs and a focus on environmental stewardship, activities to benefit society, and a commitment to build shareholder value by making PepsiCo a truly sustainable company. At PepsiCo, we’re committed to achieving business and financial success while leaving a positive imprint on society – delivering what we call Performance with Purpose.”
To reinvent how people share knowledge, tell stories, and inspire their audiences to act.”
To establish Starbucks as the premier purveyor of the finest coffee in the world while maintaining our uncompromising principles while we grow.”
Inspire the world, create the future.”
By 2022, the Smithsonian will build on its unique strengths to engage and to inspire more people, where they are, with greater impact, while catalyzing critical conversation on issues affecting our nation and the world.”
23. Southwest Airlines
To become the world’s most loved, most flown and most profitable airline.”
To inspire healthier communities by connecting people to real food.”
To be America’s most-loved pharmacy-led health, well-being and beauty company.”
27. Warby Parker
To offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price, while leading the way for socially conscious businesses.”
To lead the way to a healthier world. By carrying out this vision at every level of our organization, we will be recognized by our employees, customers and shareholders as the best pharmaceutical company in the world, resulting in value for all”
To entertain, inform and inspire people around the globe through the power of unparalleled storytelling, reflecting the iconic brands, creative minds and innovative technologies that make ours the world’s premier entertainment company.”
Our vision is to craft the brands and choice of drinks that people love, to refresh them in body and spirit.”
31. Mondelez Internationals
To empower people to snack right. We will lead the future of snacking around the world by offering the right snack, for the right moment, made the right way.”
Visions Statements Ideas for Different Businesses
As you have read above the several examples of the visions statements used by real companies, you may have gotten an idea of how to make the one for your own business. Following are the visions statement ideas for the different businesses.
1. Product-based Company
Our goal is that every men/women use our product”
2. Spa and Saloon
To provide the best services and comfort that will bring the clients back again and again”
To make the nation fit and healthy”
4. Service-based Company
To help people solve their business problems by providing the best and affordable solution”
To provide the best and quality food”
We aim to provide our clients the best shopping experience by providing them easy, secure and fast delivery”
7. Beauty Parlour
We provide the comfortable and friendly atmosphere at the affordable price that will make you glow both inside and out”